Approximately 20 to 25 Utrecht Excellence scholarships for master’s program at Utrecht University are now open for applications. International students who wish to pursue their master’s degree but lack funding resources are eligible to apply. Find out what selected number of available courses are below!
Established in 1636, the Utrecht University has becomes one of the leading research universities in Europe. Situated in the heart of the Netherlands, this institution is recognised globally for its high-quality and innovative approach to teaching and research. International students will be in good company at the university. There are over 1,500 overseas students admitted to University every year to take English-taught degree programs as well as other courses. This year, there are up to 20 to 25 Utrecht Excellence scholarships for master’s program at Utrecht University for 2019-2020 intake year that will be distributed across the six Graduate Schools.
The awards are tenable for the whole duration of the master’s program, which is either two or one year, depending on the program. If the students are making satisfactory progress towards their degrees, the award can be renewed (only for the second year).
This scholarship program can be awarded in one of two ways:
- Tuition costs, or
- Tuition costs along with EUR 11,000 living fees
Note that the award is not automatically a full scholarship. Ergo, it may be necessary to find extra funding to be able to fulfil your financial obligations in your studies and stay completely. Candidates must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office) stating that they have enough financial means in case they require a residence permit in the Netherlands. The University provides advice regarding the student’s budget here
To be fully entitled to the scholarship call, candidates must fulfil the following requirements:
- Must belong to the top 10% of students’ graduating class
- Must be in possession of a non-EU/EEA passport
- Must not be eligible for support within the Dutch system of study loans and grants
- Must have completed their secondary school and/or undergraduate program in a foreign institution (outside the Netherlands)
- Must have applied for an international master’s program with a commencement date of September 1, 2019. Note that not all programs take part in the scholarship program, students must check the university’s master’s programs and go to the master’s programs > tuition fees and financial support in order to see if this scholarship is listed as a scholarship opportunity
If you wish to be considered for the Utrecht Excellence scholarships for master’s program at Utrecht University, you must apply no later than February 1, 2019 (00:00 Dutch time).
Application for the award can only be processed if you have submitted an application for the graduate program as well. Note that, in some cases students may need to apply no later than December 1. Check the “When to Apply” section under Admission and application of the graduate programs.
After successfully applying for the master’s program, all non-EU/EEA students will be presented with the option to submit an application for this award. Please see the full required documents here.