International students who have obtained their master’s degree and would like to continue their studies can now apply for the doctoral scholarships in Local Energy Communities and Multi-Energy Smart Microgirds. The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct their PhD research in Belgium. This scholarship scheme is open in the field of Engineering.
The PhD scholarships will position the qualified students in the Faculty of Engineering Sciences within the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. Qualified applicants will also have the opportunity to participate in the research group MOBI (Mobility, Logistics and Automotive Technology Research Centre). MOBI is now involved in the growth of the Green Energy Park close to Brussels. It is leading in defining the state-of-the-art in Electromobility and Socio-Economic Evaluations for logistics and sustainable mobility. It is a living lab which will be unique in Europe and where the authorities, university as well as the industry collaborate to carry out research on renewable energy, smart microgrids and innovative transport solutions. MOBI has been successful recently in its acquirement of innovative research projects for this new initiative, both on European and national level, hence why it’s now looking for a PhD candidate in multi-energy smart microgrids.
Qualified candidates will receive the following benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ability to use public transport for travel to and from work
- Hospitalisation cover
- International, young and challenging work environment at the cutting edge of innovative research
- Extensive sporting facilities as well as a nursery on campus
- Candidates must have obtained a master’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Candidates must possess a basic knowledge of the energy system and machine learning as well as data science
- Candidates of all nationalities are welcome
- Candidates must have interest in development and research
- Candidates must possess good English communication skills in writing and speaking
- Candidates must be proactive and able to take the initiative
- Candidates must have the ability to work independently and in a team while carrying out complex assignments
Should you be qualified for the doctoral scholarships in Local Energy Communities and Multi-Energy Smart Microgirds, you will be involved in but not limited to the following tasks:
- Conducting the research in accordance with the work plan of the project. This may include simulations, literature studies, measurements, data analysis, etc.
- Write as well as successfully defend a doctoral thesis at the final of the research
- Collaborate with other researchers that may come both internally and externally along with collaborating with project partners
- Disseminate research results through journal publications and conferences
How and When to Apply
If you wish to apply for this program, applications are open until February 15, 2019. Please submit the following documents via email to [email protected]
- A copy of the highest diploma
- A brief curriculum vitae
- A statement outlining your reason for applying
The starting date for the doctoral scholarships in Local Energy Communities and Multi-Energy Smart Microgirds is on March 1, 2019.
You can find out more about MOBI or the scholarship program here.