Do you need funding for your master or doctoral education? Then you might want to consider applying for the JRC Fuwaku scholarships at SOAS University of London. The Japan Research Centre (JRC), SOAS and University of London are collaborating to offer scholarships for qualified UK, EU and overseas students. Read below to find out more if interested!
SOAS University of London is a famous and leading higher education institution that specialises in the study of the Middle and Near East, Asia, and Africa. SOAS is a notable institution which is uniquely placed to shape and inform current thinking about the security, cultural, political, economic and religious challenges of the world.
As a way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Japanese Research Centre, they are pleased to offer the JRC Fuwaku scholarships at SOAS University of London. Up to two scholarships will be awarded to qualified students and each award is valued at £ 10,000.
- All PhD or MPhil candidates whose thesis topic focuses on any Japanese related aspect. All full time postgraduate taught master program can be eligible provided the dissertation is on a theme connected with Japan. In addition to taking at least of 1.0 units (or equivalent, such as 2x 0.5 units) on Japanese or Japan studies
- Current master students enrolled in year 1 can also apply (of a two-year master programs at SOAS, full time) in 2018-19 and entering second year in 2019-20
- Part time candidates are not allowed to apply
- Both UK/EU and international candidates can apply
- PhD/MPhil students: the research proposal must focus on Japan. Students (new admissions, such as commencing in September 2019, should also submit proof of this in the research proposal of their admission application
- Candidates must include details of their skills in Japanese language. While it is not essential but it’s highly desirable so it’ll help the applicants’ case
- New admissions commencing in September 2019 must have obtained an offer of admission by the scholarship closing date
More details on the eligibility are available here.
Scholarship Application Process
Applications for the JRC Fuwaku scholarships at SOAS University of London must be submitted no later than May 1, 2019 at 16:00 (UK local time).
Note for new applicants (those commencing in September 2019; new admissions): it is important that you also submit a full application to your program as soon as possible and then submit an application for this award call.
Candidates who are interested in this call must submit an application for admission well in advance.
Kindly note that complete submissions for admission can take up to four weeks in order to be considered by the Department, although this timeframe can vary depending on the time of year. Furthermore, students must also be prepared to wait up to six weeks in very busy periods.
It is highly advised to apply for the program approx. six weeks before the scholarship closing deadline (in this case, by March 20, 2019).
Online application form can be found here.