The South African Maritime Safety Authority is pleased to announce the new SAMSA Scholarships for South African Students 2019. This call aims at helping deserving students to pursue their studies. Whether you are currently at a secondary or tertiary level, you are welcome to apply if interested!
SAMSA is short for South African Maritime Safety Authority. It is a government agency in South Africa that was established in 1998. The agency has three primary goals, namely: to ensure the safety of life and property at sea; to promote the maritime interests of South Africa; and to prevent and reduce ship pollution to the marine environment.
The authority is based in Pretoria. Meanwhile, their Maritime Rescue Co-ordination and Response Centre is located in Cape Town. The agency also has offices in Port Elizabeth, Durban, Richards Bay, Cape Town, Mossel Bay, the Port of Ngqura and East London. The services they provide include: small vessel safety; shipping safety; sea watch and response; naval architecture; seafarer service; ship registry; EPIRB registration; audit and accreditation.
Every year, the agency wishes to help outstanding South African students by awarding a limited amount of scholarships. All students who want to undertake the following maritime related fields are welcome to apply:
- Grade 12
- Grade 11
- Grade 10
- Nautical Studies (National Diploma)
- Maritime Studies (Navigation) (National Diploma)
- Maritime Studies (Engineering) (National Diploma)
- International Business and Logistics
- Maritime Economics and Globalization
Are you eligible?
Prior to submitting an application for this call, you must make sure that you meet the following minimum criteria required to apply for the SAMSA Scholarships for South African Students 2019. Failure to fulfil all these requirements will lead to your application being disregarded.
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have achieved at least average of 65% for current studies
- You must possess good academic record, with excellent results for Maths and Science
- You must be studying in one of the aforementioned fields of study (either at a secondary or tertiary level)
How and When to Apply
If you meet the above minimum criteria and would like to apply for this opportunity. You can commence your application by obtaining the application form here and completing it.
You must also attach clear copies of the following supporting materials along with the mandatory application form. All of these documents are necessary and if there is any single missing item then your application will not be taken for further consideration.
- Certified copy of ID document or birth certificate
- Certified copy of matric certificate or recent academic results
- Certified copy of parents’ or guardians’ ID
- Proof of income of parents or guardians, such as the latest payslip or affidavit
Please forward your scholarship application via email to [email protected] with the following subject line: SAMSA Bursary Application – your full name.
There is no specific closing date for the SAMSA Scholarships for South African Students 2019 because applications are open and will be accepted all year round. Therefore, you are very welcome to lodge your application at any time.
Should you need further information regarding this scholarship call, please refer to SAMSA via:
Tel: 012 366 2600
Fax: 012 366 2601